Decorate A Dreamhouse, Manhattan Brownstone



Written By: Patricia Lynne
Editor: Sarahjoy Crain







In my current Something Beautiful Journal entry, "Decorate A Dreamhouse," I'm imagining I'm living in a Manhattan Brownstone in the Upper West Side Of New York, like the ones shown at left.




My Brownstone located in the Upper West Side is among the State of New York's finest neighborhoods, with its charming, brownstone facade and classic styling; the neighborhood is favored for its historical value, dating back to the nineteenth century. Its wonderfulness includes:

  • My Brownstone is located on a tree-lined street just one-and-a-half blocks from Central Park in one direction and one-and-a-half blocks from Riverside Park (overlooking the Hudson River) in the other; it's just steps away from several subway and bus lines, making all of the City's wonderful attractions easily and quickly accessible.
  • A short cab ride, bus, or 10 minute subway ride puts you right in the heart of midtown with the theatre district, Carnegie Hall, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, Times Square, the shopping of Fifth Avenue and MOMA. You can walk to Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and the fabulous Museum Mile, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Guggenheim, The Museum of the City of New York, etc. 
  • SoHo and Tribeca, with their unique, interesting shops and galleries, are a quick subway-ride away. This Upper West Side neighborhood was recently featured as New York's hottest restaurant row. 
  • The exterior of my particular Brownstone has been tweaked a tad - I painted every inch of the exterior of my unit enamel white. It stands out - the detail of the stair rails appears even more stunning in white.



  • The interiors are a fresh, sophisticated cottage look, with a mix of Swedish and French antiques. The color scheme is subdued; my unit is open and airy and full of light helping to provide a feel of endless space - enhanced by 12' ceilings.
  • Although it is fresh-looking and on the side of contemporary, there are unexpected accents throughout the house that are antiques or that have been painted and decorated in a way that lend intentionally to the drama of agelessness.
  • Ensuring that wonderful quality of comfort, I have purposely made it welcoming and romantic through the combination of color and texture (including provision of monogrammed bedding, Egyptian cotton sheets and wonderfully soft blankets and throws).



We're going inside now so please join me as I write in my SB Journal on decorating the interiors of my sophisticated Manhattan Brownstone.


Click Here to continue article and see Bonus Recipe, Lemony Lemon Brownies.



No comments: